Thursday, August 15, 2013

Tree Association Thursday

Today is a Tree Association Thursday (get it.. Tree Association...the Sloth version of Free Association)..a series I would like to make a regular thing... these may have a theme or they may not, they may make sense or they may not, they may be long or they may be short.. the main thing is... it will be whatever I want it to be. Something to keep me posting and involved. I am not even sure anyone reads this judging from the lack of comment. I can see on stats that the last couple of posts have been read, or at least briefly visited by 8-10 people (or 8-10 times by one person), so someone out there has visited just not commented. And yes that is a cheap way to say... please read.. and if you read please at least comment once in awhile so I know it is being read. Otherwise I am just taking to myself and I do that enough and get enough strange looks as it is...

First off, I have been reading a lot of Shakespeare lately. Why I do not know, those who know me well are already well versed in the fact that I have myriad interests that switch often for no reason or rhyme. It is part of what makes me, me and adds charm or so I tend to think. Anyway.. this reading of Shakespeare is dangerous because it gets me thinking, speaking, and especially writing in "Shakespeare-ese" for awhile. Thanks to my sense of humor, southern upbringing, and redneck background I am already nigh incomprehensible and to add "Shakespeare-ese" just renders me even more strange.

Secondly... I have also been doing a lot of reading/research in British History. Mainly the Kings and Queens from William The Conqueror to the War of Roses. I love history and specially American and British History. Because let's face it.. British History is our History as well. I guess being of Scottish-Irish-Welsh (and some French) descent, it is in my DNA. And the recent obsession with the Royal Baby, it is a fact that no matter how much we deny it or pretend it doesn't exist, we Americans (especially of British ancestry) are still beholden and linked deep in our souls with the "Old Country" and always will be. A corollary to this is I have become interested in Soccer.. especially British Soccer and Premiere League. I fought the Soccer interest for many years but finally gave in... Go Arsenal.

Thirdly, and here is where I get close to Political.. This Sloth does not get the current uproar over the Rodeo Clown in Missouri. So what if he mocked Obama..where was this outrage during Shrub's reign when people mocked him, wore masks of him, burned him in effigy, or had posters of him beheaded and such? Was ALL of this is poor taste? Yes. Is it offensive? In some ways.. but so what?? Last time I checked we have free speech... doesn't mean we will like what is said..I am sure most reading this (honestly, if I have even one reader I am please wether they agree with me or not) do not like what I say. It doesn't mean we agree with what is said. We may find it offensive but the fact is.. we have the right to say it or express it. Stand against ALL of it or allow it but to be find with it when you agree with it and against it when you disagree with it is hypocritical and juvenile and we have enough of that as it is. Next time.. do what I try to do and just ignore it. Change the channel, close the book or paper, switch to a different web page.... BUT whatever you do, do not switch to a different blog from this one.. I need all the readers I can get.

P.S. While I want and welcome comments.. if you leave criticizing or negative comments be warned... I will get some of my fellow Arboreal Dwelling Jungle denizens to throw poop at you. I would do it myself but (1) it is too much work, and (2) you try throwing poop with only 3 digits and none of them being an opposable thumb.

2 comments:

  1. There will always be an England.



    This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle,

    This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars,

    This other Eden, demi-paradise,

    This fortress built by Nature for herself

    Against infection and the hand of war,

    This happy breed of men, this little world,

    This precious stone set in the silver sea,

    Which serves it in the office of a wall,

    Or as a moat defensive to a house,

    Against the envy of less happier lands,

    This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England


    ReplyDelete
  2. That is from Richard II if I am correct...

    ReplyDelete